How Do I Get a SAR (Student Aid Report)?

The Student Aid Report (SAR)
Your Student Aid Report (SAR) summarizes all the information you provided on your FAFSA. Your SAR will usually contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the number used in determining your eligibility for federal student aid. Your EFC will appear in the upper right-hand portion of a paper SAR or an electronic SAR. You might not get an EFC if we need more information from you to process your data. If you applied for a PIN during the FAFSA on the Web signature process, you’ll receive information about the status of your PIN.

After you apply for federal student aid you’ll receive your FAFSA results in your SAR:
You will receive your SAR by e-mail 3-5 days after your FAFSA has been processed, if you provided an e-mail address when you applied. This e-mail will contain a secure link so you can access your SAR online. If you have a “junk” folder or “spam” folder in your e-mail files, check it. The e-mail from us might be delivered there instead of your inbox. We encourage you to add our e-mail address,, to your e-mail address book to help avoid delivery problems.

You will receive a paper SAR by mail in 7-10 days after your FAFSA has been processed, if you do not provide an e-mail address when you apply. Whether you apply online or by paper, we will automatically send your data electronically to the schools you listed on your FAFSA.

If you applied using a paper FAFSA, there are additional steps you need to take to ensure you’re considered for the ACG (click here). If you’re a U.S. citizen, eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, and within the age range to have graduated from high school after Jan. 1, 2005, additional questions will be asked during the online application process. The paper FAFSA does not contain these questions. Applicants who file the paper FAFSA, are U.S. citizens, eligible for a Federal Pell Grant and within the age range to have graduated from high school after Jan. 1, 2005 will receive information on their SAR explaining what to do. Please read the instructions carefully.

What do I do with my SAR?
Review it carefully to make sure it’s correct and complete. The school(s) you’ve selected to receive your SAR will use this information to determine if you’re eligible for federal—and possibly nonfederal—financial aid funds.

If you need to make corrections to your SAR:
You can make them online using your PIN, by going to and selecting “Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA.”

Your school might be able to make them for you electronically (check with your school).
Or, if you received a paper SAR, make any necessary corrections on that SAR and mail it to the address on the form for processing.

You can make a few changes to your SAR by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). You must have the Data Release Number (DRN) located on the SAR available.

Here’s what you can change over the phone:
your mailing or e-mail address,
the names of schools that you want to receive your FAFSA information; and
your answer to Question 31 (concerning a drug conviction).
For all other changes, you must correct your SAR using one of the other options above.

Once my SAR is accurate and complete, how do I find out if I’m eligible for federal student aid and how much I’ll receive?
If you’re eligible for federal student financial aid, the school(s) listed on your FAFSA (who have also offered you admission) will send you an Award Letter. The Award Letter tells you the type of financial aid you are eligible to receive and how much you may receive. This combination of aid is your Financial Aid Package. Review each Award Letter very carefully and compare how much aid you can receive at each school. Once you accept a school’s Award Letter, sign it and return it to the school for processing.

SAR Submission Deadline
If the school you want to attend is not listed on your SAR, you must add that school to your SAR and submit your data to that school for processing by the last day of enrollment OR by mid-September, whichever comes first. Be sure you know what the last day of enrollment is at the school(s) you want to attend—that date could be earlier than mid-September